Today while I was transporting myself to a zoning appointment, I was listening to Radio West on KUER. The guest today, one A. J. Jacobs, was an agnostic journalist who likes to immerse himself into worlds he wouldn't otherwise experience. His past projects have included moving to India and outsourcing all of his daily needs and posing online as his nanny in order to get her a date. Today, though, Jacobs was talking about his latest project: living more than 700 rules that the Bible dictates. I only got to hear the first 15 minutes or so of the hour long program, but I was touched that Jacobs would have been softened and enriched an agnostic journalist living in New York could be from doing things he'd never done that I've done almost every day of my life--like pray. It's amazing to me that such a simple thing as praying can make your life feel so much more enlightened.

I was grateful that I was able to hear what I did, because I felt that my day had been made a little brighter by the realization that the religious-rich environment I have been brought up in has buffered and sustained me past so many doubts and stumbling blocks others may face. I know there is a God, that He loves us, and that His Son came to Earth to save me. I know I am insignificant but that He came to save me, because He's my older brother. I know that there are distractions I let myself be caught in, but it boils down to the fact that I know I can do better and each day--week--month, I try. I'm also very grateful for the belief in Satan, as strange as that may sound. Knowing that as our other older brother he tried to enslave us before we were all born, and in his spite continues to do so, is such a powerful incentive to be like our better older brother for me.

Anyway, I don't usually do the whole "deep" thing, but I figured I mostly write this blog for my own sake...so...ha!